Certified by the state of Maine as an environmental leader, the Pilgrim’s Inn B&B and restaurant in Deer Isle is a quaint country getaway keen on recycling. “To-go” containers are made of biodegradable sugar cane, used cooking oil fuels local bio-diesel cars, and natural kitchen waste is composted. Of course organic island-grown veggies are served as often as possible. At the B&B, soaps and shampoos are dispensed in the showers, not individually packaged and low-flow showers and toilets conserve water.
Fourteen sophisticated country rooms are available, as are two sweet cottages and Rugosa Rose, a two-story retreat. Spend a lazy night here and then venture to Acadia National Park & Isle au Haut, just over an hour away — for hiking, biking or educational tours.
Visit www.pilgrimsinn.com for more information, including rates.
I knew when I first laid eyes on this this uber-toilet I was destined to write about it (although for what it costs you could buy a small pre-fab home, a nice housing lot in Billings, Montana or a used Prius).
This luxury bathroom throne can spritz your cheeky bits, warm your flanks, anticipate your arrival, flush on departure, cover your tracks (deodorize) and do some of the other dirty work for you. It also controls water waste.
Some of its myriad features:
- sensor-activated lid opens when you approach
- lid closes and flushes when you depart
- comes with optional wireless, remote operated, programmable seat heater
- sleek, tank-ess, one-piece toilet with integrated Washlet seat
- Cyclone Flushing system — no waiting for refill, no refill noise
- skirted styling with concealed trap-way for easy cleaning
- Integrated Washlet features front and rear warm water washing, automatic air dryer and deodorizer
- an ion barrier glazing system cleans your toilet bowl with every flush
- tankless – low profile, elongated one-piece toilet
- low consumption (6 Lpf/1.6 Gpf)
- sanaGloss glazing
click here to find a Neorest dealer
more info @ totousa.com
Oh, and by the way, the white model goes for $5,200 the Sedona Beige for $5,980
Combing my grocer’s shelves the other day, studying the fine print of snack bars’ packaging, I decided to try Larabars. With two in hand, I checked out and made my way out the door. Mission accomplished, I broke open my new Cherry Pie and fulfilled my desire for a sweet, healthy snack.
Each of the 190 calories of dates, almonds and unsweetened cherries was raw, pure, delish. Packed with goodness, and a great mix of texture and taste.
I was looking forward to the next day’s bar exam, which was truly divine. A few more calories, but hey — that’s why we jog, swim, shoot hoops and play tennis. Chocolate Coconut is concocted of: dates, almonds, walnuts unsweetened coconut and unsweetened cocoa powder.
Perfect for vegans, raw foodies and anyone interested in healthy snacking. Key Lime Pie and Pistachio (total yum) flavors were just released this spring by Lara Merriken. Grab a few of your fave o’ flaves and start humming.
buy it from lara
find a store near you
discover the goodness of every bite @ larabars.com
This relatively inexpensive and straight-forward floor lamp has some nice features.
- the lamp replicates the full spectrum of natural sunlight
- glare free lighting for improved reading or computer use
- reveals the full spectrum of natural colors
- bulb last 8,000 hours
- 7’cord & 10.75 ” heavy weighted base
- the 150-watt equivalent 27-watt bulb can save you as much as $72 over that 8,000 hours
Bottom line, you’ll get better visibility and use less energy.
In ivory or black finish.
snap one up for $44.95 ($5 mail-in rebate) @ balancedspectrum.com
(buy more than one and get free shipping)