Hanging with your old man on Dad’s Day is probably the best way to “celebrate” him.
If you want to treat Pops to something extra special, search your soul, and ask yourself, “what would he really like?” If you can’t answer that with clarity, ask those around you for some advice. I’ve dug up a few cool ideas that may spark some solutions for Big Daddy. And perhaps, for yourself, if you should receive a gift certificate:)
- Get Daddy-O stoked by finally framing that “great photo of you and him,” or “him and the fish,” and top if off with a handwritten, heartfelt message, either in a corner of the photo, or on the back of the frame.
- Floor him by taking care of some chore(s) around the house — mow the lawn, replace incandescent light bulbs with eco friendly options — simple stuff that will mean the world. Or drop a dime, and hire someone to do the tough stuff for him (and you).
- Grill and Chill — prepare his favorite meal and kick back with a cool one on the deck. Pump up the Rat Pack tunes, and reminisce about a few of your favorite times spent together. Warm his insides, cool your jets.
- For birdies and bogies – an elite grab bag of eco-golf goodies
- Donning some green on the green – bamboo polo shirt, from life is good
- Take a load off – jute hammock from traidcraft.
- Whatever floats his boat – kayaks from recycled plastic
- charge and pedal – electric bikes for UK and Australia
- charge the 2-wheelers – for US lazy, pedal enthusiasts
- blow your wad – 3-wheeled Tilt a Whirl
- berry, berry fresh, green goods from Diamond Organics, free overnight delivery – organic cherries and berries or organic beer & snacks & more
- a traditional gift with a twist – tri-fold, hemp wallet
- tasteful and classy – boll organic white dress shirts
- thirst quenchers – organic tequila and organic vodka
- for the bookish, eco-conscious traveler – Code Green
- old souls knob pulls – rockler woodworking & hardware
- eco-friendly flashlights & lanterns or gardening tools from green & easy (UK)
- transfer those vinyl sounds to digital – turntable USB recorder
- for the drinking discofile – vinyl redux coasters
- give a unique experience – gifty box
- pack the getjackblack lip balm
- or go wild in the Adirondacks this summer – wildcenter.org
- and don’t forget the solar powered voltaic backpack
- then stay cool when you’re at home or in the office with the solcool v4
Don’t sweat the gift-aspect of June 17, just let Big Poppie know that you’re thinking of him, and you love him. Enjoy the third Sunday of June, and celebrate him with your heart, however you know best.