Mariah Power has created a beautiful, tower-like wind power appliance: the Windspire. This propeller free design rises 30 feet into the air and is just 2 feet wide. Rotating at the speed of wind, it is quiet and safe for avian life, so there is no need to take down your bird-feeders. You can expect this 1 kw Windspire to produce 1,900 kw hrs annually if winds average 12 mph. Producers promise easy, DIY installation and low maintenance. Their website includes a calculator for determining how fast your Windspire will spin.
Windspires are expected to be available this fall. Reserve your own @ mariahpower.com
Babies and kids get all the best stuff. This 100% Certified Organic Cotton Velour Hooded Blanket is velvety soft and available in blackberry with persimmon trim.
I think I’ll get one for my mother-in-law.
$42.00 @ katequinnorganics.com
- Townhouse developments – vast tracts of middle-class housing in cookie cutter formations stretching as far the eye can see. Frightening.
- PlayStation, Sega and Nintendo – the annual transition to next-generation gaming platforms will create mountains of played-out Gameboys and Xboxes that will soon block out the sun while simultaneously creating a generation of adults with arthritically crippled and out-sized thumbs…
- Celebrity hypocricy – how many bodyguards can fit into one Escalade en route to that 11th Hour premiere?
- Shopping at Walmart – can it really be good business for China to poison its best customers? Everything’s on sale everyday…including America.
- Congressional harassment – our elected representatives can’t be relied upon to focus on legislation when young pages, money toting lobbyists and gay men’s room entrapment schemes keep them from their work.
- Stephen Colbert – the sawed-off comic has befriended Bill O’Reilly, violated the Endangered Species Act by adopting a bald eagle, and denied the existence of both evolution and global warming thus contributing to the decline of Western Civilization as we now know it…
- Designer re-usable bags – the point is to replace the noxious and pervasive plastic bag, not gain entry into Lindsay Lohan’s next ‘I just busted out of re-hab and got a big movie deal’ after-party.
- Sustainability – the spelling and mis-spelling of this word will waste an estimated 137 million man-hours per year that could be otherwise used to save the global environment.
- Cats – kitty litter disposal is an odiferous and growing concern to many Americans.*
- Cell phones – I’ve got nothing here but I needed a 10th threat. Any ideas appreciated.
*(misrepresentation to enrage cat lovers and increase traffic to this site)
Convert old magazines into a foot or bottom rest by simply wrapping these straps around a stack. Then kick back and enjoy your new piece of furniture. Great way to save some copies of some favorite mags and de-clutter your home. Recycle, reuse, relax!
Available for $39 @ conranusa.com.
(Source: today’s NYTimes, “Put Your Bottom Where Your Books Are”)