by Carrie @ 3:53 pm 1 comment »
It’s that time of year. Each of our contributors will be posting their own Green Holiday Gift Guide. Here are some great ideas from our London-based writer, the fabulously green, Carrie.
- The new MacBook Pro—More energy efficient and highly recyclable
- Hemp Messenger Bag—for the eco-conscious man on the go, a smart-looking carry-all bag made of…hemp!
- Vosges Yoga + Chocolate Mini Bar Gift Box – Perfect for the health nut who loves dark chocolate. The gift box includes seven mind-freeing mini candy bars (one for each chakra), along with chocolate chakra recipes and a guidebook written by yogi David Romanelli with quotes, fun insights, helpful illustrations and links to music you can access through David’s website.
- PVC-free Lunch Buddy -PVC-and Teflon-free Lunch Buddy that exceeds CA Prop 65 standards for lead and other toxins, while being stylish and fun. Great for kids, too.
- Proud Mary Tote – A bright tote with gold straps for added panache, made by artisans in Guatemala. Proud Mary, an organization recently started by a friend of mine, pays double the average wage to their weavers for their work and is committed to providing them with a consistent income.
- Grounds for Change Fair Trade Bushel Basket – For the caffeine addict, includes three eight-ounce bags of Fair Trade coffee, two boxes of Fair Trade tea, five-pack bundle of Fair Trade Divine Chocolate Bars, a Fair Trade copper and brass coffee scoop from Chile and one can of Fair Trade cocoa powder from Divine Chocolate; (one of my fave chocolates)! (Update: links removed)
For Men and Women
Membership to an Organic Wine of the Month Club—send your loved one three bottles of organic wine a month because it’s good for the heart, and better for the planet. (more…)
Sunday, November 30, 2008
by Ross D @ 10:35 am 1 comment »
- Whittle hand-carved busts of your family and friends out of found lumber. Not only will the DIY works of art be an attractive addition to any living room or mantle, but when times get really tough, the sculptures can be thrown in the fireplace or wood stove to heat one’s home.
- Give both Mother Earth and your wallet a gift by keeping that Chevy Suburban of yours in your garage for a week while you carpool with your mother-in-law in her Geo Prism.
- Dumpster dive for that Playstation One (PS1 circa 1995) that your neighbor just threw out, or that Cabbage Patch doll that your creepy cousin Duane was storing in his crawlspace.
- You’ve been a good dooby and have been faithfully composting for the last 12 years – give each of your lovely relatives a 30-gallon trash bag of your black gold for Christmas, accompanied by a bonus gift of a classic bong from your cherished college bong collection and get them jump-started on growing their own…
- Give each of the attendees at your holiday gathering a lovely handmade wreath made of recycled toilet bowl brushes. The thoughtful decoration can also be used to address bathroom touch-ups during post-holiday cleanup activities…
Saturday, November 29, 2008
by Maureen @ 12:21 pm post a comment »
Buying stuff just because you can, or just because it’s on sale is not eco-friendly. That mindless practice oftentimes can be simply thoughtless and inane. But there are times when you really need to buy stuff, and when you do — be conscious about what you’re doing and why.
If you’re in the market for any of the following green goods, they can be had this weekend at discount prices. Saving money on items you need is a good green practice. So have some fun, and be mindful of the planet.
- 25% off all items, even already on sale items. Use code: BLACKFRIDAY at checkout. Sale ends Monday, 12 midnight @ olivegreendog.com/
- Holiday Sale Nov 28-30 @ Arogya.net 20% off Gift Cards & Yoga Packages, 30% off Beehouse Pots, 50% off Selected Teas.
- November Exclusive Email Offers from Soaptopia, including free eco gift wrapping. Use Coupon Code: JINGLESMELLS at checkout, through 12/1/08.
- Stewart + Brown’s SaleOnSale savings on sweaters & coats or accessories. Enter SaleSale at checkout. Valid until Tuesday, 12/2 at 11:59pm.
- Jurlique is offering a Green Friday 10% off sale through Thanksgiving weekend.
Related: previously on altCon Buy Nothing Day 2007
by Ross D @ 9:20 am post a comment »
Friday, November 28, 2008
by Maureen @ 5:29 pm 190 comments »
December 5, 2008 UPDATE: It’s official — our two lucky winners are Ronda G. and Joanne S. Thanks to all for participating. Everyone can be a winner at Blue Avocado when you use their special discount code: blogluv5 to receive a 5% discount on orders over $60.
The Blue Avocado Giveaway is Closed, but be sure to check out our current Great Green Giveaways listed in the middle column of this page. original post follows:
Make your move to eco chic reusable bags, or give them as wonderful holiday gifts. Compliments of Blue Avocado, two lucky readers will each receive a unique and innovative shopping bag kit, made from beautiful recycled materials. Available in three stylish colors; winners get to pick their favorite shade.
- First Prize: the Cool Kit replaces 13 plastic shopping bags, ($44.99, pic above).
- Second Prize: the Ready Kit replaces 9 plastic shopping bags, ($24.99, pic above).
Each prize includes free shipping to anywhere in the U.S.