It’s that time of year. Each of our contributors will be posting their own Green Holiday Gift Guide. Here are some great ideas from our London-based writer, the fabulously green, Carrie.
- The new MacBook Pro—More energy efficient and highly recyclable
- Hemp Messenger Bag—for the eco-conscious man on the go, a smart-looking carry-all bag made of…hemp!
- Vosges Yoga + Chocolate Mini Bar Gift Box – Perfect for the health nut who loves dark chocolate. The gift box includes seven mind-freeing mini candy bars (one for each chakra), along with chocolate chakra recipes and a guidebook written by yogi David Romanelli with quotes, fun insights, helpful illustrations and links to music you can access through David’s website.
- PVC-free Lunch Buddy -PVC-and Teflon-free Lunch Buddy that exceeds CA Prop 65 standards for lead and other toxins, while being stylish and fun. Great for kids, too.
- Proud Mary Tote – A bright tote with gold straps for added panache, made by artisans in Guatemala. Proud Mary, an organization recently started by a friend of mine, pays double the average wage to their weavers for their work and is committed to providing them with a consistent income.
- Grounds for Change Fair Trade Bushel Basket – For the caffeine addict, includes three eight-ounce bags of Fair Trade coffee, two boxes of Fair Trade tea, five-pack bundle of Fair Trade Divine Chocolate Bars, a Fair Trade copper and brass coffee scoop from Chile and one can of Fair Trade cocoa powder from Divine Chocolate; (one of my fave chocolates)! (Update: links removed)
For Men and Women
Membership to an Organic Wine of the Month Club—send your loved one three bottles of organic wine a month because it’s good for the heart, and better for the planet.
Garden & Home
- Planet Earth DVD—perhaps the greatest nature/wildlife series ever produced. Enough said! Available @ amazon.com
- Paddywax Eco Candle—featuring the aroma of an Italian garden, the Paddywax Eco Candle comes in a reusable planting container. Makes a great stocking stuffer. Available @ anthropologie.
- Sony Bravia JE1 Series LCD TV – features the highest level of energy efficiency for 32-inch LCD TVs. The company also recycles waste used during the manufacturing process.
- NRDC – works to protect wildlife and wild places to ensure a healthy environment for all of life on Earth.
- Environmental Defense Fund—the guys that bring us the safe seafood guides and the only environmental nonprofit group to receive an A rating from Wired magazine.
- iHUG Foundation – a plug for a grassroots nonprofit that I helped to launch with a few friends, it provides education to poor children in Uganda. The right to an education is one of the basic human rights and the only hope for many poor children around the world.
- Hot, Flat & Crowded, by Thomas Friedman – The fearless New York Times op-ed columnist on why we need a green revolution in America now and how to make it happen. Available @ amazon.com.
- In Defense of Food: An Eater’s Manifesto, by Michael Pollan. Available @ amazon.com
- How To Cook Everything Vegetarian, by Mark Bittman – Because eating less meat is good for mankind and the planet! Availabe @ amazon.com
- Greenopia: New York City – For alternative consumers in the NYC area, a guide to more than 1,300 eco-friendly businesses in the Big Apple.