Fashion Home Decor Design Health & Beauty Green Gadgets Eco News Food Alt Energy Pets

search

kayu – sustainably sourced accessories


kayu_bamboo.jpg

seashell_clutch.jpg

Kayu markets eco-fashion accessories that both look great and make a difference. Through Kayu (meaning wood), designer and founder, Jamie Lim, endeavors to help artisans of developing countries preserve handcrafting techniques that have been passed down from generation to generation while improving the social welfare of these indigenous communities.

With every pair of sunglasses purchased, Kayu donates $20 to fund a sight-restoring surgery in the developing world (Unite for Sight). And for every handbag purchased, Kayu donates $15 to provide a child a backpack and school supplies. (more…)

Share it:

Monday, January 17, 2011

reclaimed bowling alley wood furniture – counterevolution


alley1.jpg
Where have you gone, “Candlepins for Cash”? Part of the answer…NYC-based furniture designer Jim Malone’s CounterEvolution contemporary furniture line features handcrafted furniture constructed exclusively from the salvaged and reclaimed heart pine of defunct bowling lanes.

alley8.jpg
alley3.jpg

As evidenced by the pieces we’ve featured, Malone’s creations place a high value on green manufacturing processes, craftsmanship and design. Available in a variety of stains and designs.

alley2.jpg

Share it:

monday’s eco news roundup


iStock_000007618481XSmall.jpg

Share it:

Berryplus – a tried and true green product review


berryplus.jpg

Some background: Jamie Gold and Jason Goldenburg, 2 buddies since high school, started messing around with a tree-born, Chinese Soapberry, as a planet-friendly alternative to typical chemical-laden laundry soaps. The resulting product – their innovative laundry detergent, Berryplus – first made in-roads on college campuses and laundromats keeping clothes, as well as the planet, nice and clean. (The 40, 60 and 100 size pouches shown above will be available in a couple of weeks.)

The challenge: How to make a more people and earth-friendly laundry detergent. Typical laundry detergent contains plenty of synthetic chemicals, unhealthy stuff like petroleum distillates, phosphates, chlorine, EDTA, surfactants and phenols. Some of these nasty chemical residues can land on our skin – which is especially problematic for those with allergies and skin sensitivities. Berryplus, on the other hand, is 95% berry-based. What’s in the other 5%?  Vegetable based glycerin for softening; olive leaf extract to kill bacteria; .1% each of food grade preservatives made from plants: sodium benzoate and sodium potassium.

berryplus_2.jpg

Put to the test: I was given 2 small vials of liquid soap to test. I washed a load of whites and a separate load of darks, each in cold water cycles and the clothes came out smelling fine and looking good.

berryplus_3.jpg

Aside from how Berryplus is made, what’s also amazing is how little you need, a microdose…less than half a teaspoon. It takes up less space, which is another eco perk. (more…)

Share it: