Tonight’s the night to unplug and recharge. 8:30-9:30p EST. Sponsored by The World Wildlife Federation, go off-grid and see just how bright your night can be. more @ earthhour.org
Current government regulations in the power plant industry are lauded as being the “most extensive intervention into the power market and job market that the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) has ever attempted to implement”. The rules entail large reductions of mercury and sulfur dioxide produced by coal-fired plants, leading EPA to estimate the cost for upgrading the plants to be around $12 billion. Claims of forthcoming job losses associated with the new regulations are based on previously studied government regulations implemented over the last 10 years, but as always, there are two sides to every story.
Government studies show that similar regulations create new jobs with sustainable means over the jobs that are being eliminated; most of the time this process culminates in increased prices and the shutdown of the dirtiest coal plants, causing uproar amongst those being affected. But according to former EPA policy analyzer and Resources of the Future member Richard Morgenstern, “the job creation and the job destruction roughly cancel each other out.” (more…)
Just in time for Earth Day, designers Rogan Gregory and Scott Mackinlay Hahn have introduced their new collection, LOOMSTATE 321.
The concept for this new collection is its ability to be worn in multiple ways, styles, color combinations and its reusability — traverse from beach to dinner in one easy, reversible piece.
By using only one knit fabric, Tencel, LOOMSTATE has highlighted its core values of style and sustainable design. The yarn’s origin is from natural tree pulp and the manufacturing process is 99% waste free. It is also quick drying, wrinkle resistant, ideal for movement and travel. All sourced and made in the USA.
3 ways 2 wear 1 piece @ LOOMSTATE 321
(above) Kaight’s NYC boutique is a find for all manner of sustainably-minded designer fashion – owner Kate MacGregor has you covered from green undies and swimsuits to outerwear, footwear, handbags and jewelry. Loving Crie de Cour’s kicky vegan booties and the Southwestern-inspired bag for year-round style. Check out Kaight’s Happy Hour Fridays in Manhattan or Brooklyn locations. more @ kaightshop.com
(above) This little flirty floral party dress from Montreal-based Mychelle Pyxus, is super fresh. Handmade to your specs with gorgeous eco friendly fabrics. The contrast top is made from a beautiful hemp / silk charmeuse blend in cream while the bottom floral skirt in beautiful lavender, yellow and cream is made from an organic cotton / silk blend.
The inner skirt is finished with a bamboo viscose / organic cotton jersey lining as well. Garden party, anyone? $169 @ Simone’s Rose Boutique on Etsy
(above) If you’re getting hitched this year, you’ll find cool wedding bands made from recycled gold at onewed.com. Order a date engraved customized set for you and yours, so you’ll never forget that special anniversary day.
related: more eco fashion finds on The Alternative Consumer
UPDATE: Michael H is our lucky winner! Thanks to everyone for participating.
Thanks to Hub Innovations, we’re giving away a cool REV360 for iPad & iPad 2 to one lucky Apple-loving winner. The REV360 is a revolutionary rotational iPad case that maximizes functionality and protection.
The REV360 retails for $49.95 – $69.95. Prize includes free shipping to USA or Canada. Your choice of color or pattern design.
To enter, be sure to take a peek at the Hub Innovations website. Simply let us know how the REV360 can make using your iPad a better experience and let us know your favorite color. If you’d like to receive more than one entry, do any of the following, leave a comment for each:
- OPTIONAL: follow Hub Innovations on Twitter (@hubinnovations) and/or Facebook – leave an additional comment for each to let us know.
More optional ways to receive additional entries:
- Sign up for our free monthly enewsletter for insider tips, news & deals.
- Join us on Twitter – tweet about the giveaway (no more than once per day), be sure to refer to @altCon, and leave a comment on this post.
- Receive additional entries 2 more ways: subscribe to our RSS feed, or like us on FaceBook. As always, we will not share your email info with anyone. Good luck!
- A rotating disk that allows the user to spin the iPad 360 degrees to swivel from landscape to portrait
- The perfect ergonomic solution to holding your iPad that prevents accidental application launches and enables users to scroll with no fumble or fuss
- Durable, semi-flexible silicone case that provides reliable protection for you iPad without scuffing
- Integrated stand that allows for optimal viewing and comfortable typing for tabletop or desk use
- One size fits all hand strap will hold the iPad firmly in place and enable your free hand to easily manipulate the touch screen
- Available with Smart cover compatible option
Simple, elegant and durable design, the REV360 for iPad & iPad 2 comes in white, black, pink, orange, green, blue, copper, gray, navy and red as well as patterns such as animal print, carbon fiber and digital camouflage.
Green factor: the case is made from 100% recycled plastic and resin.
CONTEST ENDS: Thursday, April 12 11:59p PT. Winner will be notified via email from: m (at) AlternativeConsumer (dot) com.