Looking for an easy way to freshen up your bath area? You might want to replace that raggedy shower curtain. One hundred percent organic cotton curtains can be pricey (but also PVC-free) – here are a few eco-friendly personal faves – some of which are on sale:
(above 3, from top)
- Sophia via ol’ reliable Pottery Barn (now $59, was $69)
- Snag a classic white or blue shower curtain that’s made of 100% organic cotton and pair it with an earth friendly eco liner via Vivaterra. The Ruffled Shower Curtain, now $219 (was $279) + Eco Liner, $14.
- Indian Block Print Shower Curtain, made from pesticide-free cotton (now $89, was $98)
(above 2, from top)
If you’re not looking necessarily for a bargain, we also like these two designs, (plus many more) via Amazon.com
- Brooklyn Life Outdoor – 100% organic cotton & made in the USA ($150)
- classy organic cotton and linen blend, Birch Natural by design house, Coyuchi ($135)
Feel good knowing you can maximize the life of the curtain by simply washing as needed, and stay healthy — your new PVC-free, eco liner won’t be off-gassing toxic nasties into your space and lungs.
Full disclosure: Ocean Vodka provided us a handsome bottle of its tasty organic vodka for the purposes of the “Tried and True” green product review.
Ocean Vodka is one very green and tasty libation. Rather than incorporate traditional sources like grains, corn or potatoes in its distilling process, Ocean uses 100% organic sugar cane – as its sweet and languid flavor will attest. Combine its organic sugar cane base with pure deep ocean water captured from beneath the ocean’s floor (hence the name) and you’ve got a unique spirit and a little taste of paradise.
The organic distiller has recently made some big changes – announcing that Ocean Vodka’s Organic Farm and Distillery on Maui will be open for public tours and tastings in February 2013. Ocean’s facility is exclusively powered by solar energy and will enable Ocean to consolidate its production and sourcing of its organic sugar cane – supporting its commitment to sustainability and conservation. Situated on 80-acres on the slopes of Mount Haleakala (go to the top of this 10k peak at sunrise for some breathtaking views or a hair-raising bike decent), the new home of Ocean Vodka captures panoramic views of both the north and south shores of Maui.
- The drinking: Our exhaustive taste test has revealed a tasty, award-winning vodka ready for tropical mixers or straight-up, neat imbibing. If you like the more rough-and-tumble burn of grain-based vodka’s like Stoli or Crop Organic Vodka, the slightly sweeter taste – featuring a hint of citrus – and more subtle burn of Ocean Vodka may not pack enough punch for you … however if you’re a sometime vodka consumer, a vodka aficionado in search of pure, smooth organic vodka, or a mixed drink player like myself – the silky, sweet character of Ocean Organic may present the perfect alternative. Note that Ocean is no wimpy liquor – it is 40% ALC/Vol and 80 proof.
- More details: Ocean Vodka is 100% USDA Certified Organic, gluten-free, and the only vodka in the world made from organic sugar cane in combination with deep ocean mineral water. A proprietary column distillation process produces an ultra-clean spirit that the distiller claims is unrivaled in the marketplace. When this pure refined spirit is blended with deep ocean water, Ocean Vodka takes on a unique, mineral-rich flavor found in no other vodka.
- Sustainability: Open to the public next month, the state-of-the-art Ocean Vodka Organic Farm and Distillery will utilize solar panels to power 100% of its operations. The sugar cane will be organically grown on the farm’s rich, volcanic soils without the use of synthetic pesticides and fertilizers and the mature sugar cane will be hand harvested for processing. A Martini Garden designed for martini lovers will highlight fresh, local ingredients such as Kula lavender, local citrus, passion fruit, pineapple and strawberries.
Ocean Vodka is the number one selling Hawaiian-made spirit and has been family-owned and operated since the company’s launch in 2006. Ocean Vodka bottles are comprised of 60% recycled glass, which melts faster and at a lower temp than pure glass, conserving energy. Organic inks are utilized in the creation of labels and graphics. Socially responsible, OV donates a portion of their profits to conservation orgs like Oceana, a nonprofit committed to ocean conservation and advocacy. USDA Organic Ocean Vodka is competitively priced ($29 to $35). Ocean’s store locator.