With Halloween just around the corner, almost everyone I know is last minute shopping and searching for costumes. Instead of paying a ridiculous amount of money (costumes can range conservatively anywhere between $20-$60), why not try to save a few bucks and create your own costume?
Channel your favorite TV icon, animated Disney character or celebrity chef (Anne Burrell, Cat Cora or Chef Zakarian) … Here are a few clever costume ideas that are quick, cheap, and easy to make:
- (above) For that gutsy guy l0oking to have an ‘A-1 Day’ you can go all Walter White / Breaking Bad and just slide into your favorite Fruit of the Loom briefs, socks and dress shoes. Packing heat is optional.
- (above) Whether you’re into Duck Dynasty or you’re a member of the Red Sox Nation – beards are back. Grab that gnarly old Gandalf beard on the floor of your closet from 5 years ago or start growing your own (quickly). The rest is cake.
- (above) For the culinary alchemist … Wear black or classic white, and an apron you have at home. Write “Fe” (the chemical symbol for Iron) on a piece of construction paper and attach it to your apron. People will be asking you all night, what’s cooking, Iron Chef?
- (above) For the kids – Lilo from Lilo and Stitch: All you need is a red bikini top (an old red t-shirt can be cut up for this), shorts, a grass skirt, a lei, and you’re good to go!
- (above) Have a green shirt? Cut it up into the top and bottom or dress that you want, and simply super glue black triangle spots onto it. Tie your hair up into a ponytail or bun, and voila! You have now transformed into Pebbles from the Flintstones. Guys, look how easy it would be to become adorable Bam Bam! Grab a baseball cap, and if you have a baseball bat laying around, the costume would be even more complete.
Happy HallowGreen! It’s amazing what you can recycle and reuse; it really just takes a little bit of thought and effort to save money and resources while still having fun.
above illustrations and photo credits: Disney & Food Network & Breaking Bad Season One & Duck Dynasty / Hollywood Reporter
related: 10 Ten Ghoushly Green Movies on alternativeConsumer.com