I have expressed my love for fashion before, but knowing the ethics behind the clothing industry definitely makes me reconsider the extent to how much I’m willing to spend on buying new. Consuming consciously is a growing concept for many consumer. Sites like Barters Closet will help ease our transition to more thoughtful shopping by providing an outlet to indulge in our shopping habits without expending more of the world’s resources.
Barters Closet is an online thrift store/swap meet that lends people the opportunity to barter or sell their used clothing online. It’s a simple concept – people sign up for an account, create a closet, and post photos of the items they’re selling/bartering. The site is easily navigable; you can browse different people’s closets, and each description of clothing lists its size and condition. (more…)
I know nowadays much of the focus of recycling is on electronics, batteries, cans, bottles, and many other things but we should never forget about paper.
In 2012 The United States was able to recover more than 65% of the paper consumed, but that still leaves another 35% that is unaccounted for, which ended up in landfills. Paper is just as important as other recyclable goods and has so many benefits.
The amount of paper recycled has almost doubled since 1990, which is great, but the EPA has set higher goals for paper recycling in the future. The benefits of paper recycling are: it saves a tremendous amount of landfill space, reduces energy and water use, reduces greenhouse gas emissions, saves our forests and so much more! It’s important to remember how easy it is to recycle paper and other goods – since 2010 about 87% of Americans now have access to curbside and/or drop-off recycling programs, and that number is constantly increasing.
In 2012 about 51.1 million tons of paper was recovered and 18.7 million tons was landfilled. Though the amount of paper currently recycled is significant, the total amount can grown substantially if we can re-double our efforts and awareness. So, try to make a conscientious effort to remember that paper is just as important to recycle as some of those ‘trendier’ items and has as many, if not more benefits to the environment as any of the other recycling campaigns. Continue recycling cans, electronics, bottles, and everything you can but don’t forget about that paper – we want to keep the trees and our planet green.
In the aftermath of the 2011 earthquake, tsunami and Fukushima nuclear power plant disaster, Japan is looking for renewable energy sources to provide a higher percentage of its electrical power production. One upcoming project involves a partnership between U.S.-based Ocean Power Technologies and Japan’s Mitsui Engineering & Shipbuilding Co.. (more…)
(above) Melissa Joy Manning – sustainable jewelry designer mines for money to fund her new green retail shop at 12 Wooster Street NYC. You can get in on the ground-floor action now through November 9 (9:50am) via Kickstarter. For as little as $25 you can receive a pair of sleek, handcrafted hug hoops made of recycled sterling silver. In the world of jewelry design, making something new and beautiful from something old is always a good thing.
related: previously on AlternativeConsumer.com – Melissa Joy Manning